Capturing AM process knowledge through industry-specific manufacturing ontologies
- Development of agile systems capable of adapting to changes in processing functions, production capacity, and dispatching of orders.
- Detection of changes among the newly emerging concept(s) and its relevance.
- Application of appropriate deduced changes to ensure consistency in evolved ontologies
- Developing modules with a computer-aided decision support system for system adaptation and reconfiguration of associated processes.
- Providing support for product life cycle interoperability.
- Developing ontologies for formal representation of manufacturing services.
Equipment / Software
- Protege (open source)
- Webowl Editor (open source)
Collaborators: Industrial Ontology Foundry consortium (IOF)
Create a scaled Smart Factory Test Bed as a proving ground for the digital AM technologies
- CONNECTIVITY: How to connect modules of the smart bed to the internet?
- Devices ranging from sensors, actuators, controllers up to IT systems from multi-vendor and multi- platforms.
- INTEROPERABILITY: How can information be exchanged reliably between disparate systems?
- Description of capabilities of an asset, its information model, and semantics must be conveyed.
- LAYOUT: How to create a layout for the testbed to cater to the needs of different industrial products?
- Different products require a different sequence of operations, to mimic the exact production scenario a dynamic product layout is required for the testbed.
- To create a facility where manufacturing companies can come to de-risk the development of digital solutions that will drive innovation across their business.
- To closely work with both large and small-scale manufacturing industries, to understand their IT & OT requirements, research the current trends in technology and develop novel products and solutions.
- To help industries to test and mature not only new technologies but data strategies and new business models and promote common standards and interoperability.
Equipment / Software
- Open source mini CNC machines/3D Printers
- Digital measurement devices
- Material Handling Systems
- Small Robots
- Machine vision and mechatronic modules
- Mini AS/RS
- Modular automation systems
Collaborators: SVP Lasers Pvt Ltd, MTAB